Playing sports is not only fun, but it is also an excellent way to maintain your physical fitness. Unfortunately, playing sports also makes you more likely to sustain injuries. To avoid these injuries, you need to take the proper precautions at all times.
What sports injuries are most common?
You can sustain almost any type of injury while playing sports. However, some of the injuries that are most common during sporting activities include:
- Tennis elbow - Tennis elbow occurs when the tendons in the elbow become inflamed. Although it is common among tennis players, it can occur in other sports as well.
- Shoulder injuries - If you are performing repetitive motions that involve the shoulder, shoulder injuries are always a risk.
- Head injuries - Head injuries are a common occurrence, especially in high-impact sports like football. Some head injuries are mild, while others may impact your life for years or even be fatal.
- Torn ligaments or tendons - Torn ligaments or tendons are most common in the ankle and knee and may require surgery.
- Broken bones - In some cases, sports accidents can lead to broken bones. This is more common in sports that make you prone to impacts or falls.
Avoiding common sports injuries
The best way to deal with sports injuries is to prevent them. To prevent sports injuries, you need to be aware of what injuries are most common in the sports you play. You should also wear all of the recommended protective gear, even when you are only practicing. Always warm up before you begin playing a sport, and be sure to rest if you begin to feel pain or other symptoms. Practice regularly to build strength and balance so you will be less likely to have an accident or hurt yourself.
Even with the best preventative measures, sports injuries can still occur. If you think you may have injured yourself while playing sports, you need to see a doctor as soon as possible. A doctor will be able to diagnose the injury and offer treatment options to help you recover as quickly as possible. At Orthopaedic Sports Medicine and Rehabilitation Center, P.A., we know how to diagnose and treat all types of sports injuries effectively. We can also help you develop skills to avoid future injuries. Please call us today to make an appointment or submit an appointment request online.